Let’s face it: You can’t predict the future. That’s why having a fully stocked emergency kit is so important. No matter the time of year, it’s always better to play it safe.
Would you and your family be prepared, just in case? Putting essential supplies
together doesn’t have to be a chore and can even be done fairly quickly. You just need a list and a plan.
Need ideas? See below for useful items in any situation.
- Communication:Stay connected even if you lose power. Try a hand-crank or battery-powered radio — preferably one with charging ability to keep your devices running.
- Lighting:A flashlight and batteries are a must. Get a few different types, like lanterns, floodlights, and keychains. You never know how much light you’ll need or where you’ll need to take it. You can also stash a few candles and some matches.
- Food and Water:Pack at least three days’ worth of water, nonperishable foods, and canned goods — and don’t forget the can opener. Think beans, nuts and seeds, protein bars, and dried fruit.
- First-Aid Supplies:You’ll want a first-aid kit, complete with bandages, gauze, burn cream, antiseptic, sterile gloves, safety pins, and more. Pain relievers and an extra supply of prescription medications are important, too.
- Clothing and Bedding:Every family member will need a few changes of clothes and portable bedding like sleeping bags, blankets, and pillows.
- Miscellaneous Items:Cash, personal documents, and paper maps might not seem essential now, but they could come in handy. Other nice-to-have items include duct tape, cleaning products, and a multi-tool.
There’s no telling what the future may bring, so it’s important to be prepared for anything. Get in touch today for more home safety tips.